Our Stuff Has ARRIVED!

How wonderful! Mike’s and my things from Michigan have successfully arrived! I actually haven’t seen them yet, because Mike was at the new apartment all day directing the movers while I was at work. It’s going to take awhile to get everything organized of course, but I’m excited to have everything here! We’re going to get things in some kind of order and then move in tomorrow or Thursday. I’m very excited to move in and have all my stuff back and Piper will go back to having her kitty condo again. The lucky cat! šŸ™‚

The last couple of days have been busy! On Sunday Mike and I rented a car and drove down to Tacoma. We had a fun day out, and we discovered that it is very inexpensive and very cheap to rent a car for a day ($38!!!)

Monday was a busy day at work for me. I really am starting to get familiar with things at Amazon. I really love the people and the culture there! There are lots of dogs whose owners bring them in for the day. My cubicle mate has a huge, gorgeous Alaskan Malamute that he brings in on Fridays, a friend down the hall has a little Pembroke Corgi with short little legs who comes in Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Monday morning a little Pomeranian ran into my cubicle without warning. You never know what the day will bring! This morning at the elevator I ran into an adorable black little Scottish Terrior, very bush and trying to look fierce even though he just looked precious. I definitely love all the dogs here… so much fun! Sometimes the dogs even come to meetings. It’s hard for the meetings to get too riled up when there’s a dog in the room. šŸ™‚

I work with a bunch of really nice people. One of my favorite people to work with is a guy named James. He’s kind of a gruff middle-aged guy who always seems to be trying to remember something he forgot and perpetually has a five o’clock shadow so that it seems like he only shaves down to the five o’clock shadow and never farther. Because his beard doesn’t seem to get longer than that, but he’s never clean-shaven either. I asked him the first day I met him if he had a dog. He said no. He wanted one but his wife said no. I asked him if he had any pets… a cat, a hamster. He shook his head. A gerbil? A goldfish? Oh yes, he said he had a goldfish, almost as though he’d pretty much forgotten about it. I told him I would count that as a valid pet if it had a name. “Uh…” he said, clearly trying to remember. “It had a name. I think I forgot it. Actually my daughter named it.” I told him it definitely didn’t count as his pet if he shamelessly forgot its name. In all seriousness, though, he’s a wonderful coworker. He’s helpful without being overbearing, and he gives me responsibility while still allowing himself to be present as a resource. I work with him on one of the two projects I’m working on.

After work yesterday, I met Mike at the new apartment, and we made sure we had the elevator reserved for the movers the next day. It has been warm here (50 degrees or so) and it hasn’t been raining, but it has been crazily windy. Mike said when he was out during the day he actually saw people hold onto railings when the wind gusted really hard, and I had a hard time keeping my footing at times walking to work. It was very windy today, also, but not as much.

Today Mike was at the new apartment all day working with the movers, and then Mike and I went out to dinner tonight at a wonderful little Indian restaurant. The atmosphere is just amazing… low lighting with a single bright candle at every table. Red walls, decorative Indian paintings on the walls, all in hues of black and grey. The waitress was amazing, the food was delicately flavored, and everything was inexpensive… it was a gem of a restaurant, and I’m excited to go back sometime!

Piper was very traumatized today, because a maid came in to change the linen in the temporary housing (which happens once a month), and Mike and I weren’t home at the time. So Piper was traumatized in the worst way. So much so that she went to use her litter box and was half in it and half out of it and peed. She half made it and half didn’t. Mike sprayed a bunch of carpet cleaner on it, but he sprayed significantly more than was necessary and ended up with a giant pile of bubbles in the hallway. I laughed almost until I cried. The pile of bubbles was just so big. I’d never seen so many bubbles. Mike seems to be under the impression that if a few bubbles are good, more bubbles are WAY better. It took us a lot of water, the rest of a roll of paper towels, and a couple of towels before we had the carpet fairly soap-free. I’m not at all worried about the cat urine. It got annihilated somewhere in that mess of billions of bubbles. I was a lot more worried that all that soap was going to lift the color out of the carpet or something, but everything appears to be good. And so ends another day. šŸ™‚ Mike watching his Hercule Poirot shows (which he has become the biggest fan of!), Piper throwing a mouse around with herself, and me headed to bed. It’s been a good, full day. šŸ™‚


Leave a comment

Filed under Apartments, Life in Seattle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s