I need to make a colossal to-do list to keep myself organized this next month… the holidays are always such a busy time of year and I feel like I’m even busier this year than previous years. But maybe it just feels like that every year?
So anyway… thankful things!
1. I am very thankful that tomorrow is a rest day for me, so I don’t have to get up early to go to the gym or go for a run. I can definitely use all the extra sleep I can get, especially since I’ve still got some congestion from my cold lingering around! 🙂
2. I am thankful that (somehow!) despite the fact that I have been running every other day in November in Seattle, I have yet to get rained on. How crazy is that? Rain was projected for last Saturday morning, but it didn’t rain until after my run. Rain was projected for this morning during my last hill run, but again… no rain. It’s crazy enough to be a little eerie (because we’ve definitely been getting plenty of rain… it just hasn’t been while I’ve been running). I feel very blessed to have been running without getting rained on, especially while I’ve had a cold! I haven’t prayed specifically that it wouldn’t rain during my runs, but God definitely seems to be taking care of me anyway! 🙂
3. I’m thankful for the new Kindle Fire I got in the mail yesterday! Yes, I did actually buy one. It was relatively inexpensive, and since I pay for Amazon Prime membership I’m able to stream a bunch of free movies. Very nice. Especially for someone who doesn’t have a television (or have room for a television either for that matter). Since I just got it yesterday I don’t have a clear opinion on it yet, but I’m sure I will have more to share in future posts. 🙂
4. I’m thankful for Dr. McDougall’s brand boxed split pea soup. Yes, I really am. That stuff is amazing. If you like split peas and soup. I like both. 🙂 I think I’m going to make another batch of that pumpkin chili this weekend too… this is the right time of year for pumpkin stuff. I’m going to cook something for Mike this weekend too… I’m just not sure what yet. I need to get inspired, and Mike’s not very much help. He usually says “whatever”, until I suggest something and then he says, “Not that.” 🙂
5. I’m so thankful for running water. I realized today how amazing it is to have a washer and dryer in my apartment. And to be able to turn on a faucet and drink fresh, clean, cold water. And to be able to step in the shower after a cold run into a stream of hot, steamy water. This is perhaps a little bit of a random thing to be thankful for, but that’s part of the point of Thankful Thursdays… getting us to be thankful for things we otherwise not think about.
Mike’s at his apartment making music. We walked to Feathered Friends, which is a Seattle store that makes down coats for people who climb Mt. Everest (I’m not kidding; they have pictures of mountain climbers on Everest in their store who are wearing their coats). Mike, though, got a much cheaper non-Everest-climbing coat. It’s been about 39 degrees and rainy here today, and it’s supposed to be like this all week, so it’s just too cold for his other coat. And especially now that he’s out in the elements more walking to the bus stop, it’s important that he have a warm coat.
The guy who helped us in Feathered Friends was very nice. He looked like kind of a mountain man himself since he was tall and lanky with a bushy beard. Interestingly he didn’t seem in a hurry to sell us anything. We had to seek him out to ask him questions, and once he answered them he kind of disappeared so that the next time I had a question I had to go find him again. But honestly, I really appreciated that. I’m so tired of going into stores and being asked by 5 people if I need help finding anything. (I must just have an incompetent looking face!) When we bought the coat, however, he gave us a whole bunch of instructions for caring for the coat right off the top of his head and seemed extremely knowledgeable about down. Overall, it was a surprisingly fun trip. And the store is only a block from our apartment building so it wasn’t too far to go in the rain.
So… is there anything anyone else is thankful for? It can be anything… small or big!